Two SA hotels win global gongs at World Luxury Hotel Awards
The winners of the 2011 World Luxury Hotel Awards were announced on Friday, 16 September at a gala dinner at the Regent Esplanade Zagreb Hotel in Croatia.
Hotels are recognised for their commitment to the highest standards of quality service and the awards, founded in 2006, congratulate hotels that had taken extra steps to provide guests with outstanding experiences.
Marinique Truter, manager of the World Luxury Hotel Awards, explains: "Outstanding properties are those that surprise the guest with unexpected experience bonuses, experiences that are more about recognition of the guest other than the thread count.
"Growing numbers of luxury travellers around the world seeking excellent value, impeccable service and the highest quality are now making a point of checking to see who has won a World Luxury Hotel Award before making their own holiday choice. The Ultimate Hotel Guide featuring our award winners has become increasingly popular amongst travel agents and tour operators that utilise it for global reservations."
Truter says over 1000 luxury hotels from 87 countries were nominated to participate in this year`s awards - a 50% increase - and reports an improved voting poll rate. Hotels can be nominated by guests, tour operators and independent travel consultants, and can self-nominate if operating in the luxury niche market. Hotel guests have the opportunity to vote on an annual basis.
2011 World Luxury Hotel Awards global winners
, listed by hotel, country and category won:
- Iguazu Grand Resort Spa & Casino, Argentina, Best Luxury Casino Hotel
- Llao Llao Hotel & Resort, Argentina, Best Luxury Golf Resort
- Hayman, Great Barrier Reef, Australia, Best Luxury Emerging Hotel
- Fairmont Chateau Whistler, Canada, Best Luxury Ski Resort
- King George Palace, Greece, Luxury Hotel - Best Scenic View
- Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Best Luxury Hotel
- The Leela Kempinski Gurgaon, India, Best Luxury Hotel & Conference Centre
- Solis Lough Eske Castle, Ireland, Best Luxury Country Hotel
- Sandals Royal Plantation, Jamaica, Best Luxury Island Resort
- Indigo Pearl Phuket, Thailand, Best Luxury Spa Hotel
- Shompole Kenya, Kenya, Best Luxury Eco Safari Lodge
- Pan Pacific Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Malaysia, Best Luxury Airport Hotel
- Shangri-La Hotel Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Best Luxury Business Hotel
- Coco Palm Bodu Hithi, Maldives, Best Luxury Romantic Hotel
- Diva Maldives, Maldives, Best Luxury Beach Resort
- The Royal Hideaway Playacar, Mexico, Best Luxury Coastal Resort
- Azura at Gabriel`s Mozambique, Mozambique, Best Luxury Villa Resort
- Ritz Carlton Hotel Brand, not applicable, Best Luxury Hotel Brand
- Inkaterra La Casona in Cusco, Peru, Best Luxury Suite Hotel
- Cousine Island, Seychelles, Best Private Island Resort
- Sheraton Towers Singapore Hotel, Singapore, Best Luxury City Hotel
- Royal Madikwe, South Africa, Best Luxury Game Lodge
- Morukuru Lodge, South Africa, Best Luxury Bush Lodge
- The Fortress Resort & Spa, Sri Lanka, Best Luxury Coastal Hotel
- Singita Sasakawa Lodge, Tanzania, Best Luxury Lodge
- Panviman Chiang Mai Spa Resort, Thailand, Best Luxury Mountain Resort
- Rawi Warin Resort & Spa, Thailand, Best Luxury Family Hotel
- Santhiya Resort & Spa, Thailand, Best Luxury Spa Resort Hotel
- Lucknam Park Hotel & Spa Wiltshire, United Kingdom, Best Luxury Country House
- The Carlyle, USA, Best Luxury Boutique Hotel
- The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, USA, Best New Luxury Hotel
- Hotel Danieli Venice, Venice, Best Luxury Historical Hotel
This the second consecutive win for Royal Madikwe, the five-star safari residence in the North West Province, which won in the global Luxury Game Lodge category. Royal Madikwe proprietor Chai Patel says: "We are thrilled and honoured to have won this prestigious award for the second year running. This especially means a lot to us because it reflects the recognition of our customers` satisfaction. Our team feels very proud to be recognised in this way and is motivated more than ever to continue providing memorable experiences."South African country winners
and the category of award are:
- Cape Royale Luxury Hotel And Residence, Luxury City Hotel
- Chitwa Chitwa Private Game Lodge, Luxury Game lodge
- Fusion Boutique Hotel, Luxury Suite Hotel
- Hilton Cape Town, Luxury Hotel & Conference Centre
- Kievits Kroon, Luxury Spa Hotel
- Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa, Luxury Romantic Hotel
- Mount Grace Country House & Spa, Luxury Boutique Hotel
- Pondoro Game Lodge, Luxury Lodge
- Riverbend Lodge, Luxury Family Hotel
- Robertson Small Hotel, Luxury Country Hotel
- The Oyster Box Hotel, Luxury Hotel
- The Palazzo Montecasino, Luxury Casino Hotel
- The Table Bay Hotel, Luxury Coastal Hotel
- The Westin Cape Town, Luxury Business Hotel
- Fancourt, Luxury Golf Resort
The Robertson Small Hotel won the award for Best Luxury Country Hotel in South Africa for the first time. Delighted GM Riaan Kruger comments: "This is indeed recognition of the world-class facilities and service excellence that The Robertson Small Hotel has attained by achieving the highest international standards in the hospitality industry."
Mike Uphof, GM of Montecasino Hotel Operations, says: "I am proud that the Palazzo Montecasino has once again been announced a winner in the World Luxury Hotel Awards. This award recognises the commitment and dedication that the entire team demonstrate to ensuring our guests have memorable stays and I am proud of the Palazzo team who have once again been recognised for their efforts."
For a full list of global and country winners, plus images and videos from the awards evening, go to www.luxuryhotelawards.com.